Sunday, April 15, 2012

Spring Break Like A Boss: Part 3

The Capitol. Library of Congress. Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. Pete's Pizza. The Declaration of Independence. The Constitution. The Bill of Rights. Shopping. Jefferson Memorial. Lincoln Memorial (at night this time). Mount Vernon.

 

Mount Vernon is AMAZING. Guys, you have to go there! Ah, George Washington . . . what a guy.

Can I talk about him for a minute? He's just such a boss I can't even stand it. Hands down my favorite U.S. president. Not that I've ever actually met any of them, but based on what I know, I think he was probably the best president (you can argue with me if you want, this is just my opinion), because he could have had so much power but he decided not to. He could have been a dictator and the people would have supported him wholeheartedly. But he didn't - he didn't even really want to be president. Personally I don't think the U.S. will ever have another president who can measure up. I mean, think about the nature of politics - you have to focus all of your energy on promoting yourself for years to get to where you want to be. By the time someone becomes president, they have spent so much time, money, and effort making themself appealing to the public that it would be extremely difficult to suddenly shift into a selfless mindset. It would be nearly impossible to suddenly start focusing on how to help everyone else. I'm not saying all politicians are self-centered jerks, I'm just saying there aren't many like the good ol' General.

Guess what? My man GW didn't have to campaign. He was pretty much forced into the presidency by an indisputable unanimous vote.

I can't help but wish it still worked that way - a unanimous vote for president? A humble person that nearly everyone respects and admires? Yeah, that would be cool.

Anywise, Mt. Vernon is gorgeous and it's pretty dang obvious why he wanted to live there.

No comments:

Post a Comment